Sunday, April 16, 2006

Welcome to Ubuntu Linux


Installed this recently, for the third time over the last year but this time it's really taken it's hold of my machine. I'm lovin it. For those of you that don't know what Ubuntu is, take a look here: http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Ubuntu has everything that windows has and does things in such a logical way (in my opinion!)

Cool little things I've installed/setup on my Ubuntu OS:
  • Weather for London on the toolbar at the top,
  • Open Office (Comparable to MS Office, but free!)
  • Evolution Mail (Comparable to MS Outlook, but free!)
  • Transgaming, run windows games on Ubuntu Linux
I'm really pleased with Ubuntu, even considering swapping Windows from the 19" LCD and replacing with the Ubuntu Linux OS...We'll see.

Only problem is, I'm lovin it so much I'll want to seriously keep it - that poses 2 main problems
  1. I've installed Ubuntu on the 1gig machine, the slower of the two that I use. To use Ubuntu as a main OS I'd want it on the main machine, format-reinstall time :(
  2. Linux natively doesn't support Microsoft.NET, does this mean I have to swap to the dark side and use Java? I know one Web Developer that would be happy to talk about Java all day instead of .NET...hehe
Either way, Ubuntu Rocks. Download it, email me for a copy of the CD, just get it some way and try it out!

Enjoy.
C.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take a look at mono.

http://www.mono-project.com/
"Mono provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix."

CM said...

WOW a comment that wasn't asked for! hehe

If you take a look at the screenshot you'll see third icon up is the Mono launcher. I'm in the middle of trying to get this to work but it's prooving to be more difficult than I origonally thought, however I'm trying it so your bang on the mark

Perhaps if sucessfully manage to get it work and make my first app I'll post it here.

Keep reading and tell your friends lol

c.

Anonymous said...

I'm using Ubuntu Linux myself for the last six months or so. I'm really liking it and so far i haven't switched back to any another distro. Looks like Ubuntu is for keeps on my PC...

CM said...

As both comments are from anonymous I don't know if this is one person or two, if one. are you a developer? any tips on Mono development for linux?

I'm really lovin linux just wish Transgaming.org would provide better support for Star Wars Galaxies, I installed it and the launcher gave me the wrong launchpad :(

Anonymous said...

Nope, I'm not a programmer, and the second post was not mine :)
Like I said, I'm not a professional programmer, so my tip on mono was more on hearsay, not on how competent it is.
Good luck on installing mono. As a tip, try searching for "mono" on http://wiki.ubuntu.com , you'll surely find the "right" way to install it under ubuntu, and some other tips (like this page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MonoDevelopmentHowto?highlight=%28mono%29 )... Good luck with that, and with your first app! Also, you could take a look at python, as it seems to be a language for rapid graphical development that ubuntu is pushing (all the custom apps ubuntu has developed, like update-manager, and gnome-app-install are python+gtk2).